« Home | they're taking over the world! » | the things interns do at work » | ordinary people » | you're not in kansas anymore » | Enough » | freedom from the press » | conversations » | in my head » | the sunnier side of doubt » | a new beginning! »

new hair, new karma

so, under the combined peer pressure of my sister and danielle (who - having just met half an hour ago - were still able to show complete unanimity in their belief that my hair needs to change) and faux compliments ("your eyes are big! and you got high cheekbones....AND your forehead very big so better cover up!"), I took the plunge.

me: "Auntie, I want to cut a fringe.
her: oh. a full fringe ar? *gives me a dubious look*
me: uhm. yah..will it look ugly?
her: uhhhh....(touches my hair)...maybe can la...a FULL fringe ar girl?

so with her absolute confidence and unyielding support for my decision, i declared that yes, i want a full fringe.

so she combs my wet hair - the bit that's gonna be the fringe - down over my face, and leaves it there for a while while she cuts off my split ends etc. having put it off as long as humanly possible, she finally does the fringe.

she positions the scissors just below my eyebrows.
her: "ok ar...i'm cutting the fringe now ar!"
me: "WHY YOU SAY UNTIL LIDDAT?!"
her: (laughing nervously) ok ar..i'm cutting ar! this is it ar!"
me: oh dear god just get it over with."

so. i am now almost totally unrecognisable. last night at zouk it was hilarious as people i knew came up and greeted friends NEXT to me, thinking, (in gillian's words): "oh, Jo! And Jo's friend!"

and the standard reaction after i got into their faces:
1. Puzzled look (who is this crazy girl with all the hair waving at me?)
2. Eyes widen in recognition (omg it's rachel!)
3. Registers new look (omg you cut your hair!)

and this is where reactions have differed wildly.
from the good:
Debbie: OMG rachel i love your bangs ok see you inside bye!

to the bad:
Zhuang: *frowns* oh, i don't really like it...(sees my face) butthat'sjustmypersonalopinioni'msureeveryoneelselikesit!

to the kind:
Serene: it grows on you! (not literally my hair growing on me. she was not that drunk (YET). but the new look growing on her)

to the gobsmacked:
Sheryl: is that A WIG?!

to the manage-to-compliment-and-then-insult-in-the-same-breath:
Ignatius: (i must say this is a unique skill of his) I like it! but now, must change your wardrobe...it needs to be...sophisticated.

My sister: (oh wahey, it's not that unique a talent after all! or maybe i'm just surrounded by such people) See I told you it would be nice! It makes your face look smaller!

As for me, THE MOST IMPORTANT OPINION-HOLDER, i'm still undecided. it's not a disaster, but it sure is different. and for people who know me and my kind (sheryl, jerald and i: "let's go to a bar that we haven't been before! try new things! *many places are thrown up* haiya...ok la let's just go emerald hill!"), know that i loathe different.

but you know, i think it's time for a change, and i'm glad i dared. and it's kind of fun being unrecognisable. (My father as he walked into the living room, and saw me watching tv. "(pause) *in tentative voice* Rachel?")

so people when you see me, be kind! if you hate it I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!

i already told you it was going to be a Good Change. Yay!

-pause-

consultant fee leh? my services are not FOC. XD

haha. i like it. it makes you look funkier. where did you cut?

i like it too! looks like cleopatra. i can't carry it off cos my features will drop off

send me a picture!!

zyn: uh..simon salon at far east. student discount! lol

jen: there are pics on jo's blog!

send me a picture pronto!

is nice la...

i'm a fan of the new hair! you are looking mucho fantastic!

p.s. so when people say "nice hair" do you still say "thanks, i grew it myself" like chandler??

p.p.s. i love you.

Post a Comment