« Home | Officially 19 » | random nice people » | turquoise things » | Almost-retarded managers and Almost-real LV bags » | Catherine Lim rocks. So does my cousin! » | The ragamuffin gospel » | One »

poor finisher

that was what jireh observed about me: it's true too. things were going so well for a while..acceptance after acceptance until I almost convinced myself that there would be two more acceptances waiting for me this morning. Sigh. I started well..but ended with a whimper.

Now that I can no longer use the "wait for __first" excuse anymore (at first it was "wait until As", then it was "wait until US decisions" etc) I've gotta choose a school and stick with it dammit!

This morning I was convinced that I was forced to go Georgetown..as the day went past, talking to Nick nudged me towards Oxford...and then the subsidised beer sealed it. I announced that I was going to Oxford to all and sundry (and Joyce was happy, not because she thought I should ("but they drink warm beer", she whispered in horror when I first told her I was considering going UK), but because then I would finally shut up about my dilemma.)

And now, perusing my buddy's blog has convinced me again that I can't go Oxford. For too long we've talked about me finally joining him over there in the US...and seeing his pictures and the "who visited whom then we went where" weekly accounts makes me feel sad that I'm not going to be part of that Singaporean diaspora, and somehow horrifies me with the thought that since I am not seeing pictorial evidence of life and joy in the UK, there must exist none.

What if someone hangs a pig's head as a racist slur on my dorm room door?*

What if all I do is sit around in layers of sweaters eating maggie mee and watching Under One Roof tapes with the other sad Singaporean sods?**

Then again, not like Georgetown is without its cons lor.

What if I gain the freshman 57?***

Sigh. The grass is always greener on the other side. The problem is I just can't decide which green will go better with my colouring.


* In an interview done with some magazine, Tan Hwee Hwee (author, not DBS Corp comms woman!) speaks of the rancid racism she and her friends faced in Oxford. Some Brit hung a pig's head on her friend's door la. The horrors. And how come Oxford can find a pig's head one?!!

**Nick: "They asked me to join the Singapore union...but when I went for one of their 'parties' they were talking about flying Under One Roof tapes over to watch. I was like: I'm gone."

***Jireh: "I told Debbie: 'yah, so the freshman 5 is a total myth la!'. and she looked really happy. then i said, 'for you, it's more like freshman 57!'"