« Home | let it be » | diwali ball! » | from oscar wilde to melanie griffith » | matriculation! and assorted other things » | it's a long way from home » | laundry night » | excerpts » | to whom it may concern » | cleaning out my closet » | tick tock tick tock »

alice through the looking glass

the title of this post is alice through the looking glass because I remember there was once in 2nd week or something, that I was feeling really lonesome and sick (like, i was literally sick), and karl made me some tea, and I was just whining on and on to him about how I felt so out of place and homesick and that i've stepped into bizarro world, that i was like alice through the looking glass etc etc (bear in mind, i barely knew him at this point. it was frightening for him, to say the least. the fact that he's still my friend says something haha). And the connecting thread from that conversation is that I've been having adventures lately, and feeling like alice again, but this time in a good way.

but first:

on friday night: we had dinner at this fancy restaurant called Ask, and had THREE bottles of wine. (our bill was 80 pounds ouch!)


karl and I. It's obvious that this was at the tail-end of the three-bottle-of-wine dinner, huh

On saturday night, I was out with luke, and some of his friends. And it was a bit insane really. we went to the south park, where they had a fireworks! and a giant bonfire..it was like a carnival thing, with rides and stuff.


we were just hanging out there (and his friend ed, was doing fire poi. you know those guys who have two chains with fireballs at the end, and swing them around like shuang jie gun? really amazing:



It was funny because luke's friends are all the dreadlocked, chains and studs kind (but such cool people)..and when we stopped in teddy hall for a drink from the college bar, you could see all these preppy boys' eyes following them as they passed. And then me in their midst: innocent asian girl in a baby pink jumper. heh.

After that we walked for AGES to this party, which was being held on an allotment (a patch of field on which people grow vegetables, i kid you not). It was seriously in the middle of nowhere, and we had to walk down this creepy-ass dirt path which was pitch-black (and had like LOTR-esque trees), and past a railway (!) (which had the sign: "look and listen: it is not our responsibility if you are killed" haah!) and through this giant field (like those cornfields which dwarf you: if you've seen forest gump where jenny as a kid runs off into the field from her pervert dad? yeah, like that. except pitchdark). and we came to a clearing (the allotment), where there was a bonfire, and drunk people singing. heh. it was awesome really. then after that luke and I hung out in his room for wayyyy too long (until something like 5am), listening to music and talking about everything from magic mushrooms to the war in iraq.

It was quite the adventure really. There were moments where I was like 'oh my god, what am I doing here with these random people walking into a field in the middle of nowhere!' But well, it could have been that I'm losing my singaporean-ness, and getting used to the randomness of things here (or it could have been the spliff. hmmmmm.. haha), but then sitting by the bonfire listening to drunk people sing bohemian rhapsody...I felt right at home.


Luke and I! windswept in the south park.