« Home | hor fun and housing! » | alice through the looking glass » | let it be » | diwali ball! » | from oscar wilde to melanie griffith » | matriculation! and assorted other things » | it's a long way from home » | laundry night » | excerpts » | to whom it may concern »

in no particular order

1. the christchurch regatta starts tomorrow! I'm actually getting quite excited and nervous about it, especially after tonight's pasta dinner with the whole rowing team. The thing is there's so much expectation on us...we're really expected to win (apparently our crew is really good), and I'm so nervous that I'm gonna catch a crab (have your blade dragged underwater) during the race or something horrific like that. And the thing is, although I'm not incredibly close to my crew, and although I'm pretty sure I'm not going to keep rowing after this term, I really do want to win it, and have just this amazing experience capped off brilliantly. Because we have done so much work for this - the 40 minute sessions on ergs, the 6am outings,the circuits and sprints. And tomorrow it's going to be a brilliant 3 minutes I know.

2. I've been having alot of sobre fun lately, have hardly been going out. Doing things like playing scrabble (extra 10 points for dirty words!), and piling into someone's room to watch DVDs (Napoleon Dynamite was brilliant in bits: we've been doing "Do chickens have large talons?" to one another for days; American History X is so amazing, everyone please watch it), and having late night toast parties in the kitchen (argh! getting fat!), and yes, even studying together in the library, with everyone doing that stupid whisper voice, had its fun moments (amy making fun of peter's philosophy essay almost gave me an aneurysm from trying not to laugh out loud).

3. The Asian Food Fest! That was good fun, although incredibly overpriced (OUMSSA! 2 quid 50 for a chicken rice?!!). I even helped out a bit with the singaporean stall when they were shorthanded! And the looong queue was worth it to see the look on vicki's face when she tried chendol.

4. I'm looking more and more forward to the holidays..I can't wait to see sengteck and jo (shout-out woooo! haha), and hang out with them in london, as well as see my parents and sister and see paris again! But before my family arrives I'll have a nice long time of 12 days to just explore london, and have a nice long big stretch of being alone. And of course of having nice home-cooked meals at rosy's, and partying with phoebe's rich friends' rich friends.

5. And I also feel like I haven't properly been getting the oxford experience - academics-wise anyway. Like phoebe told me how flic's law tutor wrote her an email saying that her essay's in her pidge because the stuff he has to say about it are too embarrassing for him to want to say it to her in class, and as brutal as that is, it just struck me as sad that none of my tutors would ever show that amount of interest in any of us. We're all just cruising and blagging our way through tutorials, which is why i'm so looking forward to next term when politics start. Because I'm hoping that then I'll feel more passion for my work - I'll actually be interested and interesting and be close to my tutors and have wonderful intellectual discussions...and feel like I want to read the economist in my spare time instead of doing rubbish like spending too much time online and blogging.

6. I can't believe there's less than 2 weeks left to term. Things move so fast here you hardly have time to think.

7. It's getting dark and freezing. and the past few days have been -2 degrees or less. walking along christchurch meadow to get to the boathouse is almost a surreal experience - frost-covered fields and mist hanging so low you can hardly see, and with the sun setting behind the clocktower... it's like an LOTR scene. Walking along alone with my hood up, the pebbles crunching beneath my feet and making smoke rings with my puffs of breath, i almost forget to appreciate it, until i look up and realise that I'm walking under a canopy formed by the overhanging frosty trees...and everything in that moment is so splendid i could cry.